What is the difference between a hotel and a motel?
What is the difference between a hotel and a motel – Firstly a hotel is a place where people are accommodated, usually for a short period. In modern use, a hotel is typically a building containing guest rooms and facilities for frequent guests. The largest hotel companies around the world are AccorHotels, Marriott International, Shangri-La Hotels, Intercontinental Hotels Group, Hyatt, Hilton Worldwide, IHG, and Sofitel. The word hotel comes from an old French word for a hostel, which derives from the Latin word hospes, which means stranger. The Latin word for stranger is hostis, hence the term hotel.
Motels are pretty commonplace for people to stay in when they are on a road trip. They are usually large buildings that provide a lot of space for people who need a lot of space.
They are typically the cheapest hotels and are often places people stay the night when traveling across the country. Generally, motels are not fancy. Motels are for people who want a quick and easy place to stay. A motel is a place where you can find a low-rent hotel. It is a place where people stop and rest on their way to somewhere else.
In this blog, we will explore the difference between Hotel and a Motel.
Firstly there are Four Types of Hotels which are the Combination of two separate Words.
Motel– It is a Hotel which is architecture with a motor Vehicle Parking area. It is drawn from the word Motor Hotel. It consists of a single floor where guest rooms were located adjacent to the parking area. Motels are situated near or on Highway or Long Routes which gives Overnight Accommodation.
Rotel– A Rotel is a combination of two words Rotate and Hotel. So a Rotel means a Hotel On Wheels like a Bus or Train. They provide basic accommodation facilities and preferred to travel to Remote Locations. One of the best examples in India is “Palace on Wheels” which is a Luxury train having its dining and accommodations facilities.
Flotel- It is the combination of two Words Float and Hotel. Float means to move or rest near the Surface of water without Sinking such as Boat, ship, Yacht, or Cruise. So it is a Hotel On boat, Ship, and Yacht. It can be a Permanent structure located on Lake.
Boatel– They are constructed or converted from some other watercraft. It may be permanently moored or grounded or allowed to float into limited space.
When do we Need a Motel?
- Motels are places of cheap accommodation that are used by people traveling on a budget.
- We can Book a Motel when we don’t need any amenities like Spa, Casino, and more.
- If you are going on a car trip, it is important for people to learn about the different levels of motels on the road.
- They are located on Highways thus making it more convenient for you to have a Quick and Refreshing start to your Remaining Journey.
- Few examples of Popular Motels are Knights Inn, Motel 6, and Super 8.
When do we Need a Hotel?
- To experience various amenities like Spa, Fitness Centre, Casino, and Multi-Cuisine one can Prefer Hotels to stay in.
- While Luxurious Hotels are situated close to Popular Destinations.
- If one is new to the place then one can get guidance from Hotel’s staff to get acquainted with that place.
- Few examples of Popular Hotel Brands are Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, Holiday Inn, and Park Inn.
What are the Main Differences Between a Hotel and a Motel
- Hotels have a large number of rooms ranging from 100 to 500 Rooms but in a Motel, there are only a few Rooms up to 5 to 6 Rooms with a large area for Parking.
- A hotel is a business that provides lodging for its guests which can be found on the main street or in the heart of a city. A motel is a business that provides lodging for its guests in caravans that are usually located on a side street or roadside.
- A hotel offers a wide range of amenities, such as a pool, spa, bar, restaurant, business center, and fitness facility. These amenities are typically included in the cost of the room rate.
- On the other hand, a motel has basic amenities such as a pool and fitness room. These amenities are typically available for extra services.
- Motel is an establishment that provides lodging, making it one type of lodging. A hotel is typically a much larger establishment that offers multiple forms of lodging, such as rooms and suites, as well as meetings, wedding services, and recreational equipment (such as sporting facilities and pools).
- A hotel is primarily a confinement facility, whereas a motel is primarily a lodging facility.
- Hotels often feature lavish amenities such as better food and more spacious rooms. Motels are often found in cheaper locations and feature less expensive amenities that still provide a comfortable stay.
- While the hotel is usually a four-star establishment where food is taken very seriously. Meanwhile, a motel is usually a budget-friendly establishment focusing on convenience rather than quality. Hotels offer Multi-Cuisine from Different parts of the world while Motels offer only a Basic Breakfast.
- While the Cost of Hotel Rooms is more than $100 Per Night while the Cost of Motel Rooms is less than $100 per night. Motel rooms can sometimes be more affordable, but you may risk getting a lesser-quality property. A hotel is more likely to have more amenities and come with better levels of service. But hotel rooms can also be more expensive.
This was all about the differences between Hotel and the Motel
Read Also: What Is The Most Haunted Hotel In The World?
We hope you enjoyed our blog about the difference between a hotel and a motel. We know that there is often a lot of confusion about this topic, so we wanted to shed some light on what makes a hotel different from a motel.
We wanted to provide you with some information on what the difference is so that you can decide which one you would like to book.
We hope this article was able to answer all of your questions about the different types of lodging available for travelers.